Home | Older Messages

Search the Database

Airports
Navaids

jet fuel at tower 7
Posted by: Brett ()
Date: April 01, 2007 04:16PM

550 C is the burning temperature of jet fuel and steel melts at 1370 C....i find it interesting that tower 7 fell because the steel in it melted...just out of curiosity how could jet fuel melt steel if it is almost 1000C to cool...gives you something to think about

Re: jet fuel at tower 7
Posted by: mech engineer ()
Date: April 07, 2007 05:01AM

It doesn't have to melt in order to become weak. If you really want to know pick up a material science book and read about creep and molecular changes in carbon.

Posted by: Collin ()
Date: June 15, 2007 12:37PM

Interestingly enough, other sources are quoted as sayingthat free standing jet fuel burns at a muuch lower temperature than this, roughly 360 degrees celsius. In a jet engine under opertating conditions, if kept directed at one particular point, it is possible to introduce temps high enough to weaken structural steel.Wikipedia has a decent sarticle that covers this.

WTC7 is brought up in connection with the freway span that collapsed in SF CA, BUT gasoline does free burn at a much, much higher temperature. Question is...how did that much jp get over to WTC7? Additionally consider the hotel highrise in Venezuela that burned for 17 hours w/o collapsing.

Also, google "Operation Northwoods"...it's will raise some eyebrows.

Posted by: Collin ()
Date: June 15, 2007 12:40PM

Just a post thought: just because a person is allegedly an authority on a subject, it doesn't mean that he/she is right/correct: thats and argumentum ad authoritatum, a type of non sequiter argument. And, ad hominems such as I saw in the mech engineer's comment also fallacize his argument. The weakening temp of structural steel is much higher than that which free standing jp burns at.

Posted by: Blacksmith ()
Date: June 15, 2007 01:03PM

Also, consider the high temps that can be produced in a blast furnace. The updrafts inside that building must have been pretty intense.

Posted by: Harley ()
Date: October 08, 2010 12:41AM

ANYONE who believes that fire brought down Bld 7 MUST also believe in the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny AND Santa Clause...

Posted by: Manny ()
Date: October 08, 2010 07:04AM

The problem is that we have too many "wanta say sos" to believe. As a retired General Contractor Builder there is no way in the world that jet fuel is hot enough to melt the steel in the WTC buildings. And as a builder I've had enough experience in demolition to know one when I see one, and WTC is one hell of professional demo.
Just check the following link to see what professional engineers are saying
[ae911truth.org]

you will see for yourselves.

This forum powered by Phorum.

©2019 WorldAeroData.com.