Home | Older Messages

Search the Database

Airports
Navaids

Site Upgrades
Posted by: shane ()
Date: March 19, 2010 06:38PM

Well, I'm finally getting the chance to do something with the site. You might have noticed, for quite a while it's been a case of "The lights are on, but nobody's home." I've been able to keep things running, but life just hasn't given me the opportunity to do much else here, until lately.

Anyway, I'm back! As you can see, I'm trying to implement a mapping interface to the data here, using the Google Maps API. Ultimately, the whole site will be centered around that, and everything else will pretty much be rebuilt.

Yes, I'm still using some outdated NFD info and DAFIF data from the last publicly available update in Oct. '06. But, what I'm trying to accomplish here is the development of a useful tool, that not only delivers aviation data, but allows it all to be updated in an innovative way that will provide a more complete and accurate global database. "Open" is the key here.

Feel free to post your questions/suggestions regarding bugs and features to this thread. Just keep in mind that I'm only one guy. smiling smiley

More to come...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 07:31AM by shane.

Re: Site Upgrades
Date: May 25, 2010 10:45PM

Just an update...

I'm making good progress with the site overhaul, and should have some more changes online soon.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Re: Site Upgrades
Date: July 23, 2010 12:48AM

Well I just made another incremental upgrade to the site. Although the change might appear to be only superficial, it is more than that. Yes, the layout of the home page has changed, but it's also a major overhaul of the PHP, HTML, JavaScript, and the Perl code that handles the internal data feed for the interactive map. This is just the first step in rebuilding the entire site, since it changes the fundamental framework and will allow everything to be moved to a Web 2.0 Ajax type of thing, instead of the ugly wads of code that have been nearly impossible for me to upgrade and maintain in the past.

The next step will be to rewrite the script that handles the database searches and retrieves airport and navaid details, and also to upgrade the Ajax data feed, so that it can accept requests from other web sites.

Anyway, this is slow going, and I haven't been able to put as much time and energy into it as I would like, but I'm chipping away at it. Thanks again to everyone for all the input and support!

This forum powered by Phorum.

©2019 WorldAeroData.com.