Aviation discussion. 
Home | Older Messages

Search the Database

Airports
Navaids

Data Sources
Posted by: shane ()
Date: March 24, 2010 07:23PM

Since DAFIF was removed from the public domain in Oct '06, people in need of global aviation data for development purposes have had to look elsewhere. I'm looking for any other data sources that have moved in to fill the void.

These must be sources that are in the public domain, or released under an open source license. I'm planning on merging multiple databases into a single source. This site will, in part, be a system for exposing and correcting bugs/errors/deficiencies in that data, and also be a central repository for that info. I'll be building in services that will output this data in formats that can be easily integrated into other applications. The data will probably be released under an open source license... perhaps a modified MIT style, or something similar.

So, anyway, if you know of any data that will be usable in this way, speak up!

For starters...

National Flight Database (NFD) - This is produced by the FAA, and it's in the public domain. It's in ARINC 424 format, and it's pretty complete and up to date. The problem is, it mainly covers just the US.
[naco.faa.gov]

So what's out there for the rest of the world?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Data Sources
Posted by: squawkvfr ()
Date: April 02, 2010 08:03AM

Although not in the format you are probably looking for, Eurocontrol keeps a relatively up-to-date list of AIS packages for countries throughout the world.

[www.eurocontrol.int]

Date: April 03, 2010 07:06PM

Thanks! Although it would be ideal to have a single raw data set to feed into the database, I don't see that happening. But the link you provided is a step in the right direction.

Supposedly, it was only a few countries (most notably, Australia) who refused to provide their data to the US government as long as it was available for free to the general public. And so, DAFIF updates are no longer provided to everyone. There are sure to be countries who are still willing to share their data.

Posted by: John ()
Date: April 25, 2010 01:51AM

While I'm still trying to figure out the format, these data files for use with X-Plane are great:

[data.x-plane.com]

Date: April 28, 2010 05:40PM

I've seen this before but I had forgotten about it. Thanks. This concept is similar to what I have in mind.

This might help too: [www.faa.gov]

Date: May 25, 2010 10:55PM

This looks like it might be about the best suited for quick integration into the site: [wikimapia.org]

I'll be running some tests.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll be able to make use of it once I've built in the ability to update the database. It was originally designed to use monthly DAFIF updates, so now, it is effectively read-only. Manual updates to individual items aren't realistic at this point.

Posted by: Jan Floris vd Wateren ()
Date: August 18, 2010 07:57AM

Does anyone know about a web service(s) available that one can get airport data from?

Posted by: Capt. Ruso ()
Date: December 14, 2010 12:58AM

API? anyway to access db?

Date: January 19, 2011 04:56PM

A JS API is on my list. However, it's more than trivial, and I don't currently have the time to do more than keep the site up and running, since I'm occupied with other things at the moment.

But, if anyone would be interested in hiring me on a contract basis, I will be available in a couple of months, and would love the opportunity to develop a data feed that others can access directly.

Just use the "Contact" link on the worldaerodata.com home page, and/or post a message to this thread.

Thanks

Posted by: Jonas ()
Date: February 10, 2011 10:32AM

Would you consider making the database available for download, for free or for a fee? I for one would be intrerested in purchasing it.

/Jonas

Posted by: Captain Spaulding ()
Date: May 10, 2011 10:38PM

Hello,
I'm developing a freeware plugin for X-Plane and I'm considering scraping the informations from the html but via CURL I can't access your site (I believe you are blocking robots). I believe that this is a useful workaround waiting for the API.

If you may be interested in helping me and you want to discuss about it, please contact me.
Of course, any help will be properly cited and advertised.

Thanks.

Posted by: Evan Roberts ()
Date: June 24, 2011 04:34PM

Hello,
I am a graphic engineer for Frasca Int. and I am using this information to check up on our DAFIF files for our simulators. I am gliding through each airport pretty quickly, but I am working so hard that your site is shutting me off every now and then, giving me a data usage error, please allow me to use unlimited data usage, for I have to wait about ~30-60 min. just the site to allow me to keep researching. I would really appreciate it, and we already appreciate you having this database up for the public.

Posted by: Alex ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:23PM

Here's a good online service that contains data from many airport, airlines, hotels and other travel companies.[www.dataswell.com]
Here's possible to compare data from different companies.

Posted by: Serg ()
Date: December 24, 2013 01:48AM

The RW32C/14C at Domodedovo UUDD airport is renamed a very long time to the TW M . You offer the old data.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.

©2017 WorldAeroData.com.